7/21/2010

Il PhotoEssay di Firenze (N.a.P.)

As you know, I was in Florence for the passed seven days.  I really wanted to get this up earlier, but I was so tired and frustrated from the flight and losing my luggage that I couldn't.  So here am I, doing a better job of it.

DAY 1 (7/14/10 Wednesday)
We landed quite early in the afternoon so me and my dad walked around a bit to check out what's in the neighborhood.  We had the Santa Maria Novella church and piazza.
This was before we discovered the shorter, easier to get around places.  Like we took the long away along the river to the Ponte Vecchio, the last remaining medieval bridge in Florence.
Then we discovered the Piazza De La Republica after some more wandering around.  Not the best place to try finding a bite to eat because everything was so expensive.  But the benches by the carousel provided a good resting spot.

DAY 2 (7/15/10 Thursday)
Most exhausting day of the trip.  I wanted to push a few of my buttons (one being fear of bleeding and the other fear of heights) by climbing up all 416 steps of the Campanile.  I was so scared, that the amount of adrenaline that was pumping made me not realize how badly my legs were hurting.

The second building is Il Duomo, designed by Brunnesleschi.  People could climb it up but seeing how you had to walk around it on the inside, I would not have been able to do it.  One day, maybe.  My dad and I went inside and it was gorgeous.  A bit plain, but the simplicity made it awesome.  We then went to Dante's house.  There was a dude reciting the Divine Comedy outside.
Then we visited the Palazzo Vecchio, the seat of power in Florence, which features a copy of David, one of my favorite sculptures.
We wandered over to the cloisters by San Lorenzo and Santa Croce.

DAY 3 (7/16/10 Friday)
Today was Duff tasting and museum day.  I went to the Accademia Gallery, the Uffizi Gallery, The Salvatore Ferragamo museum, and the Palazzo Pitti.  Lots of walking and another day of being really tired.
I also wanted to see the Brancacci chapel, but it was closed.

DAYS 4 & 5 (7/17/10 - 7/18/10 Saturday and Sunday)
Saturday was my cousin's wedding, which is why I was in Italy in the first place.  My dad and I stayed at this really nice resort because the ceremony took place in a nearby town.  Pics from the wedding aren't available because I don't have any.
After the ceremony and spending time in the pool on Sunday (the wedding ended at 2 AM), my dad and I ventured off to Pisa.  I thought the tower was much taller than it is.

DAY 6 (7/19/10 )
 Last day in Florence.  We finally saw the Brancacci chapel.  The frescoes are amazing.  Then we wandered around a lot.  And took some final pics.

It was a great trip, but I'm ready to be home until August 20th, when I leave for college.

No comments: