1/05/2010

"You're A Dancer, You're Not a Lover" (N.a.P.)

The title is unrelated, I just really like the song. But I was sitting in the speech meeting today talking with Electrohead about religion and whatnot and I mentioned how I disliked the campus ministry director because of how she runs the Mass. And in turn, I got called a "bad"Catholic, jokingly.

Anyway, sit tight, kids, because this is a rare opportunity where I talk about my views and religious beliefs and stuff. For one, I think the Church should revert to Latin-esque Mass because a little too much has been left in the hands of the people. Sure, it's awesome that people don't need to fear the altar and Eucharist like the plague and lay people can read at Mass, but sometimes it gets a bit far. Like lay people reading the Gospel and saying a homily that has nothing to do with the Gospel that was just read. That's a priest's job because he goes to seminar school for that. Sure some priests go too much by the Bible, but they're well-versed in it and should know the most accurate interpretations.

People complain about the Church being outdated and closed-minded. Sure, there are closed-minded people in every institution, but Vatican II happened for a reason. And I know there have been complaints about the Church not supporting the government on issues like abortion and gay marriage, but it's a free country, no? Church, and other, people can be against those things if they want to be. Me personally? I'm not getting either one of those things, but if someone wants, hey, it's a democracy, they can and should be able to. Except I only agree with abortions in the case of rape because irresponsible people should be taught to deal with consequences (disclaimer: not saying every pregnant teen is irresponsible, but if you decide to have sex and whoops! there's a baby. You should have to deal with the consequences). But like I said, if people want to, they should be able to.

And it's important to acknowledge the fact that the Church takes note of new ideas such as these and forms doctrine about them. Or refines a view to make it truer to what Jesus had stated thousands of years ago. Take suicide funerals, for example. In Shakespearean times, a suicide was not allowed a Christian funeral due to a state of mortal sin. Nowadays, they're treated like everyone else. Hell, even people who cheated on their wives, molested children, and murderers receive Christian funerals. Because Jesus would probably forgive them too.

From what I learned, the heart of Christianity is the belief in God and Mass and whatever, but it's also about not treating people like shit. By that token, gay marriage should be allowed, but gay sex is a bit taboo because it doesn't lead to babies. But like I said, I'm not getting one.

No comments: