1/15/2010

Sherlock Holmes (M.R.)

I saw Sherlock Holmes with a bunch of friends and I cannot say I was too impressed. The movie was fun, but lacked a certain wow factor. The plot was great, the action was great...I think what was missing was a ounce of sexual tension between Sherlock Holmes and Irene Adler. Maybe, I cannot quite put my finger on it.

Well, as people can tell from the trailer, Holmes is on a case to solve a mystery about Lord Blackwood rising from the dead. Since it's a movie, you probably know how it ends. I had no issues with the plot, since the action sequences were really well-timed. I think what bothered me the most were the scenes where we would explore nit-picky details. It was interesting, yes. But I feel it might have been more effective for the audience to think "OH! That's what that was!" during the actual scene. Another thing that irked me was that Hans Zimmer did the music. He's the guy that scored Pirates of the Caribbean and his stuff worked then, but I think it should have been more minimalistic and less Irish-sounding, considering that the film takes place in London.

I was kind of disappointed that the movie did not feature more of Holmes's and Watson's bromance. In the trailer, there was so much of it and honestly, it features a few scenes or recuts them so that they're not actually in the movie. Sorry to everyone who wanted to see Rachel McAdams in a corset. Speaking of Rachel McAdams, there was not enough sexual tension. Sure, they were flirting and having some non-consensual kisses, but there could have been so much more. It really played out like sloppy makeouts, genius edition. At some moments, the film felt a bit like Angels&Demons. I would say why, but that would give away too much of the plot and I am trying to keep this as spoiler free as possible.

Overall, I cannot say it was my favorite movie ever. But three cheers for having a plot and being fun to watch

Rating: 7/10

No comments: