6/20/2010

Toy Story 3 (M.R.)

I have not been to a kid's movie in forever.  A lot of them, as my friend Alice Dork expressed, tend to remind people that they are watching  a kid's movie with ridiculous dumb laughs which apparently only children can appreciate.  But Toy Story 3 had a good balance of plot, laughs, and charm that most people could appreciate it.

The story is basically that their owner, Andy, is going off to college and the toys are uncertain of their fate.  After a mishap with his mother, they toys wind up at a day care center, which seems warm and inviting but is actually a nightmarish hell hole run by mafia-esque bear named Lotso.  So, you can imagine the rest of the movie is about them trying to get away.

Well, thanks to Toy Story 3, I now know how a garbage dump works and what happens to my stuff once I discard it.  But the connection the toys had to their kid was incredible.  And it really showed how important friendship is.  If that does not sell you on the movie, there is a sequence with Hispanic Buzz Lightyear, aka El Buzzo.

The jokes in the movie were funny, such as references to eBay and the toys' ability to use computers and read instruction manuals and what not.  I thought it was really funny.  And the irony of Sunnyside Daycare split my sides.

Me being a teenager and seeing this movie and enjoying it shows that the latest Toy Story installment is appropriate for kids and "kids" of all ages.  I highly recommend it to anyone.

Rating: 9/10

No comments: