1/09/2011

Chronicles of Narnia: Voyage of the Dawn Treader (M.R.)

Taken from Pour me a heavy dose of atmosphere
The third installment of the Chronicles of Narnia series, for me at least, was a super fun ride that mainly stayed loyal to the book but added in a few details to retain a bit more fluidity and excitement.  Voyage of the Dawn Treader is an adventure featuring Edmund and Lucy, since Peter and Susan cannot return to Narnia, with a new companion, Eustace.  I thought the actor portraying Eustace did an excellent job and the special effects weer great.  I have to admit though, I am tired of having to wear glasses to watch a movie.

I feel like the artists for the show made the ship perfectly, although the design makes it seem not fit for the ocean.  The amount of subplots added to the movie enhanced the experience, because for the most part, not much happens in the book.  Well, not as much as in the other novels.  So I thought the bit with the dragon and the serpent was excellent.

The character that stole the movie for me was Eustace.  I mean, I felt most attracted to King Caspian, but he was not a main character, more like an appendage to the plot.  Eustace was delightfully annoying, the way he was in the novel.  He was super exaggerated in the beginning, which makes his turn around at the end so drastic that the audience can relate.

Overall, I liked the movie and it is something I would see again.  But warning: this is the one with the most Christian subtext.  Yes, even more so than The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe.

Rating: 8/10

No comments: