8/24/2009

Inglourious Basterds (Movie Review)

Inglourious Basterds Pictures, Images and Photos
Not your average Nazi flick, I have to say. Historically, pretty inaccurate and spot-on at the same time. I liked the movie for its plot and Brad Pitt's character. I didn't really like earliness of the suspense.

The plot is amazing. Remember that movie, Valkyrie? Same base plot line: let's take out Hitler and his higher officials. Except more exciting, European, and definitely more gore. Basically, it serves as a much better movie. Seriously? It's Nazi-occupied France during the Second World War. That was way scarier in this movie than in Valkyrie, but I digress. The characters were hard to follow in terms of names, but the main ones were truly memorable. The French girl, her laugh is the creepiest thing I've ever heard. Her story is really tragic though. I felt bad.

Speaking of characters, I'm not that big a fan of Brad Pitt. Honestly, I cannot even name the films of him that I've seen...wait, I saw Babel and Sinbad. But I haven't seen the so-called classics like Mr. and Mrs. Smith and the Ocean's movies. Anyway, his portrayal as Aldo Raine was amazing. Especially since it's a Tarantino film, his characters are hardcore and pretty intimidating. I would NOT want to cross that man...even if I were trying to be a brave Nazi Sergeant or what not. The accent amused me too...I haven't heard anything so American since I talked to Spike at Brown (he has a Souther accent). But yeah, loved his character.

Only issue: the suspense started a bit too early. I don't know if it was the movie's fault or if it is because I had seen the Halloween II trailer just minutes before. Like the first scene...I was almost ready to wet myself, but I don't know if it's cause of that or because I know what happens to people generally when a Nazi official comes over to a person's house who is harboring Jews. Or maybe it's because I was half-expecting Michael Myers to pop out and machete everyone. Not sure which.

Overall, great movie. I've already recommended it to most people I know.

Rating: 9/10

No comments: