10/24/2009

Where the Wild Things Are (M.R.)


This is possibly the cutest movie I have ever seen. I'm serious. There many cute moments, but sometimes the seriousness seemed rather inappropriate, especially since the movie was based on a children's novel. It seems to resonate more with mature audiences than the youngsters the book was intended for.

The cinematography and visuals were incredible! I think the mix of puppetry and CGI worked beautifully together. The way the camera realistically followed Max when he ran and during the rumpus felt so real. And the wild things were the perfect combination of pretty scary and absolutely snuggly. I totally want a giant plush toy of one in my room...just kidding.

But though there were many childish, fun moments, like the dirt clod fight, the movie also dealt with serious feeling such as betrayal, love, and loneliness. Those parts made the movie a bit kid inappropriate, but it successfully appealed to all age groups.

I recommend this movie for people who like really nostalgic, sentimental pieces. And those who want to feel like a kid again.

Rating: 7/10

1 comment:

Samantha K said...

I hope someone will come out with Halloween costumes based on the characters in WTWTA before the 31st... it would be awesome to dress up as Carol