5/06/2008

Stress = UTTERLY USELESS

Stress is a factor in everyone's life. I am not kidding by that. If there is no stress in someone's life, they must be pretty freaking lazy. It is a major part of the teenage years. Honestly, I can barely recount any days in which I have not been feeling some sort of anxiety. Some kids can handle them. Others cannot. In the end, I think we can ALL safely say that stress is useless.

Let's look at one example of someone who could not handle stress and the teenage years: Holden Caulfield. He was miserable. He did not want to grow up. Not that he was exclusively immature--he was to some extent--he was not prepared for the "phoniness" of adulthood, and he especially was not ready for sex. Poor guy landed in the mental hospital after wandering New York after getting kicked out of Pencey. Ever felt failure? It sucks, does it not? I doubt anyone undergoes that without major anxiety.

However, there are a few people I know in person who deal miraculously with stress. I give them many kudos. I usually end up collapsing under pressure and stress. It is usually crap that I am not directly involved in, but it involves people close to me. I am very sensitive--pssh, of course I am sensitive, I am writing a BLOG of ALL things! It can kill severely.
There are times at which I wish I could fit into Holden's ideal of being eternally innocent, away from stress and lies and the strangenesses of adulthood. Naturally, you cannot avoid that. Environmentally, you cannot either. Tough luck. But hopefully, no one will end up in a hospital like Holden did.

No comments: