5/09/2008

Sorry I'm Not Perfect...

Perfection is something we all want. In the picture to the left, there are some pretty perfect people: the man on the left is an intellectual who has a great personality, the guys are both fantastic athletes with stellar grades, the girls are people every guy wants for their beauty, wit, and charm. I wish I could be the girl every guy wants. I wish to be an ideal. However, during an interesting conversation on this topic, my best friend, Kayleigh, said, "your boobs are too big for you to be an ideal." Now, do not assume I took that as an insult. I thought it was interesting. Perhaps I am the conventional or even her ideal. Therefore, perfection is subjective.

Society's idea of perfection and ideal changes with each generation and with every decade. In prehistoric times, the ideal was to be plump, since fat represented wealth because one could afford food and survive efficiently. During the Classical era, the ideal was to have large, defined musculature. In Renaissance times, the ideal was pale skin, diluted eyes, and brown hair (at least in Italy). Literacy was also part of this idea. In the 1980's, people wanted to have big hair and exaggerated makeup.

Today, the perfect girl is tall and skinny. At least that is what you find in magazines. Referring back to the conversation with Kayleigh, guys supposedly like girls with some meat on their bones because "there is something to grab." Literacy seems to be optional, since "dumb" girls tend to be more entertaining. However, the smart ones win out in the end.

No one can talk about beauty with stating their own opinions and having someone disagree with them. My boyfriend, Scott, thinks I am perfect. I do not. My idea of perfection is straight, volumptuous hair, a somewhat built body (none of that "skinny but flabby" nonsense) and really unique style. You might have a different idea. Either way, there is no way one can talk about perfection. And in this case, majority does not rule.

No comments: