11/08/2009

Paranormal Activity (M.R.)


I waited after I tried sleeping to write the movie review. Even though I wasn't totally horrified, sleeping was a challenge. Especially with my upstairs neighbors who are really loud...or is it my neighbors?

Anyway, Paranormal Activity was really fun to watch. I do not want to say that it was the scariest movie I have ever seen, but any movie that elicits a whimper on my part earns some sort of badge. The suspense built-up pretty well; I was on the edge of my seat during every night seat. The actors/ characters worked really well together. Except I think it could have been scarier...with more exorcist-like scenes.

The night scenes freaked me out. Not to the point where sleep was nigh improbable, but I did become more aware of noises going on at night or in the evening. For example, when I got home, there was really loud stomping noises coming from the ceiling. I thought nothing of it and continued doing my statistics homework. Then suddenly, THE WALL SHOOK. I almost cried. Movies like that have a bad habit of making you more aware of noises that probably happen all the time but seem ten times creepier now that you're half-convinced your house might have a demon or a poltergeist.

The couple was really cute. Katie and Micah had much chemistry, but I wanted to KILL him mid-movie when he ignored Katie's terror and warnings about antagonizing the ghost. One woman in the theater agreed with me. She was pretty vocal about it, stating a definite "oh HELL no" when Micah further antagonized the ghost. (I'm trying to keep this spoiler free). If you check the rating for the movie, it is R for language. Sometimes the lines come out sounding like two teenagers trying to one-up each other in number of curse words said, but it makes for great entertainment.

The plot bothered me a bit. It didn't seem to exist. It was one of those "we can't solve the problem, so let's it play out" endings. And the filmmakers could have included more freaky scenes that would freak the couple out when they watched the playback. I think if the movie came out at a much simpler time when explosions and gore were not the only things that scared the stuff out of people, it would be more successful plot-wise.

Overall, it was a fun movie, but seeing it again would definitely just ruin it.

Rating: 7/10

No comments: