11/22/2009

Man Without A Face


He didn't have a face
Because I couldn't picture it.

He didn't have a face.
His feature marred
By the stinging effects
Of some acid or base.
His ears were gone,
How could he hear?

He wore dark glasses
Because his eyes were
Disfigured as well.

He carried a poster about
How he got the scars
And how reconstructive
Surgery would help him.

I wanted to read it,
But it's rude to stare.
Yet I did--just not
At him.

I don't remember
Blinking much,
But then he stood in
My line of vision.

And I could remember thinking,
That it's because of
Scared people like me
He get money for looking
The way he does.

Just like the child in The
Orphanage
felt abandoned
And alone because his own
Mother hid him from the
World because of his scars,
Maybe this man feels the same.

Or maybe he's got a strong support
System to help him through the
Bad feelings until he gets his surgery.

I hope people can see passed
The scary scars so that if
He gets the surgery, it's for his
Own reasons, not so he can
Fit in.

No comments: